What is Snappy Contact?
Snappy Contact is our newest project, and we are very proud to be able to work in partnership with the City of York Council to offer a more formal programme to children and young people with disabilities.
Contact will deliver life skills and learning workshops to children and young people aged 11 – 22. The programme will run until Spring 2019 and will deliver sessions on Saturdays and Thursday evenings, as well as additional sessions at other times.
When is Contact available?
Our Contact programme is delivered on Saturdays, from 10am to 12.30pm and 1pm to 3.30pm and also Thursday evenings from 6.30pm to 9.30pm.
Any additional sessions will be run as individual days, offering local day-trips, and attendance to local sports or drama events for example.
What does it cost?
There is no cost to attend our Contact programme activities.
How do I book?
You can call our office on 01904 640 562 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’d love to hear from you!
What sort of things will we do?
Lots! All of our activities are driven by the individual needs of our children and young people and so our programme is always being updated. However, some examples of the educational and practical workshops are:
- Drama Workshops – Encouraging discussion, creativity, imagination and confidence skills. We have also offered talk therapy groups.
- First Aid – Starting with a small introduction to what is first aid and building up to support in spotting an emergency, how to make an emergency call, and basic life support. Over the course of this workshop, we will look at dealing with foreign objects in eyes, diabetic emergencies, choking, chest pain and epilepsy. This course will be built upon as each student progresses.
- Sport – We are working with YSJ ACTIVE at York St Johns to provide a sports programme throughout the year. This will include tennis, football, hockey, bowling and various disability sports.
- Relationships – Our young people will have the opportunity to work with experienced counsellors and talk about their role in society, sexual health, drug and alcohol awareness and body image. This is usually in the form of a more formal workshop.
- IT Skills – We will offer basic IT skills and build up to social media sites and how to use them. We focus on internet safety and will offer guidance on staying safe while online.
- Green Wood Carving – This is our latest venture and will begin more formally in the spring when our groups can get out and about, but it will include things like den building, camping, outdoor cookery and safely making a fire.
- Cooking – More recently, our groups have taken place in hosting a special day and an evening for friends and family. This included skills such as planning, money management, baking, creating crafts to sell and hosting. It was a huge success and more events like these are being planned into our programme.
It is important to note that all of our activities are user-led and very much driven by the children and young people who use our Contact programme.
We provide a 1:1 adult ratio where it is needed and have a large core of volunteers to hand to help support our children and young people.
If you would like to find out more about our Snappy Contact programme or book your place to attend, please call 01904 640 562 or email us at email@example.com – we’d love to hear from you!